Show #16: The Triumphant Return
Oh hey, didn’t see you there! Welp, I’m back, whether you like it or not. Today was the first of a whole lotta wonderful to come this semester. Exciting new time frame: 5 to 6 PM on Thursdays.
1. We’re Going to Be Friends - The White Stripes
2. Ask - The Smiths
3. Vanessa from Queens - Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks
4. Trash - New York Dolls
5. World Love - The Magnetic Fields
6. Let’s Talk Turkey - Ima Robot
7. Requiem for O.M.M. - Of Montreal
8. St. Pauli - Art Brut
9. Two-Headed Boy - Neutral Milk Hotel
10. Light Leaves - Why?
11. Stay Don’t Go - Spoon
12. Hold Music - Architecture in Helsinki
13. Conventional Wisdom - Built to Spill
14. Girls Who Play Guitars - Maximo Park
15. To Hell With Good Intentions - Mclusky
16. Disorder - Joy Division
I’ll post the recorded show as soon as I get it. Pinky swear.
Show #15: It’s Not You, It’s Me
Listen, guys. First off I’m sorry I blew you off today; I came to the studio to find out broadcasting is optional this week and as I’ve fallen ill of late I decided I’d rather go home and sleep. My show probably would’ve consisted of starting the playlist and then sleeping for an hour anyway. But I figure I’ll post the playlist I planned.
Secondly: I think we need to take a break. I like you guys and everything, but summer’s coming and I need some time on my own to figure things out. Explore new music and maybe come back in the fall with new things to show you. Can we still be friends?
1. Summer in the City - The Lovin’ Spoonful
2. Days Like These - The Cat Empire
3. July, July! - The Decembrists
4. It’s Summertime - The Flaming Lips
5. Sound of Summer - Art Brut
6. Summer in the City - Regina Spektor
7. Summertime - Janis Joplin
8. Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes
9. Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
10. Rockaway Beach - The Ramones
11. Summertime Clothes - Animal Collective
12. The Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side - The Magnetic Fields
13. Sun Was High (So Was I) - Best Coast
14. Alive - Ima Robot
15. Sundress - Ben Kweller
16. The Summer - Yo La Tengo
17. Girl - Beck
Thanks for listening and I’ll see you in the fall!
- Olivia, signing off for the summer
Show #14: Insert Title Here
I was tired okay? Come up with a theme yourself. Make it an impressive one.
Happy May 9th everybody!
1. Arcade Precinct - 1990s
2. Daydream - The Lovin’ Spoonful
3. Bryn - Vampire Weekend
4. You Yes You - Tune-Yards
5. Absolutely Cuckoo - The Magnetic Fields
6. Barfruit Blues - The Hold Steady
7. Cool as Kim Deal - The Dandy Warhols
8. Taste - Animal Collective
9. I Don’t Mind - Buzzcocks
10. It Wasn’t Me - Shaggy
11. Jackie Big Tits - The Kooks
12. Sax and Violins - The Talking Heads
13. Everyday People - Sly & the Family Stone
14. Debbie - Architecture in Helsinki
15. Debaser - Pixies
16. Rusted Guns of Milan - Art Brut
17. Love Spreads - The Stone Roses
Show #13: May Flowers
Turns out I don’t have enough songs about flowers I really wanted to play, so I threw in a few about general May things. From May horoscopes to spring sunshine to that good-things-are-coming feeling. But there really should be more songs about raging allergies.
1. The King of Carrot Flowers - Neutral Milk Hotel
2. The Start of Something - Voxtrot
3. Lilac Breeze - Eels
4. Morning Glory - Oasis
5. In the Flowers - Animal Collective
6. Apple Blossom - The White Stripes
7. Marigold - Nirvana
8. Wheat Kings - The Tragically Hip
9. Gemini (Birthday Song) - Why?
10. Scarborough Fair - Simon & Garfunkel
11. Photosynthesis (We’re Losing O2) - Men, Women & Children
12. Sun Hits the Sky - Supergrass
13. Sweetness Follows - R.E.M.
14. Lotus Flower - Radiohead
- Notorious O.M.F.
Show # 12: April Showers
…are pretty similar to March showers, in my opinion, but I wouldn’t know about baths. I never really take those. Any differences between months, concerning water temperature or overall bath enjoyment? Rubber duck usage?
Everyone who takes baths plays with rubber ducks, right? I figured that was some universal rule.
1. Rain - The Beatles
2. Stormy Weather - The Kooks
3. Everyone Thinks I’m a Raincloud (When I’m Not Looking) - Guided By Voices
4. Let it Rain - OK Go
5. April Come She Will - Simon & Garfunkel
6. Today Has Been OK - Emiliana Torrini
7. No Rain - Blind Melon
8. The Rain, The Park & Other Things - The Cowsills
9. Everything Is - Neutral Milk Hotel
10. Someone Take the Wheel - The Replacements
11. Rain Song - The Mountain Goats
12. All the Umbrellas in London - The Magnetic Fields
13. Rain King - Sonic Youth
14. (In The) Pouring Rain - The Clash
15. Beginning to See the Light - The Velvet Underground
Show #11: On The Road
Or the plane or the train or the Mississippi River. Hell, Snoop Dogg drives while smokin’ and sippin’, The Mountain Goats get drunk and take buses, and Eels fly around the skies. To each his own.
I feel like those last two examples are funny if you don’t know those are band names.
1. The Car Song - The Cat Empire
2. See America Right - The Mountain Goats
3. Roadrunner - The Modern Lovers
4. 1000 Miles Per Hour - OK Go
5. Gin and Juice - Snoop Dogg
6. Run - Vampire Weekend
7. Tick of Time - The Kooks
8. Car - Built to Spill
9. Goin’ Down - The Monkees
10. Our Trip - The Thermals
11. Last Stop: This Town - Eels
12. Long Train Runnin’ - The Doobie Brothers
13. Myriad Harbour - The New Pornographers
14. Going Mobile - The Who
15. Walk it Off - The Breeders
16. Moving to New York - The Wombats
Show #10: Party Like it’s 2001
Arrite, so I realize a ten-show timeframe and a ten-year timeframe probably aren’t as relevant to one another as I had hoped. But I needed to commemorate my tenth show somehow and playing songs that were released ten of my shows ago wouldn’t… be all that exciting. So let’s just call it a tribute to ten year anniversaries?
And hey, 2001 was a pretty okay year. For music I mean. (For music… for music.)
1. Mr. You’re on Fire Mr. - Liars
2. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk
3. Anthem Part II - Blink-182
4. Furniture - Fugazi
5. Out Loud - Dispatch
6. Glad Girls - Guided by Voices
7. The Leanover - Life Without Buildings
8. Caring is Creepy - The Shins
9. Hash Pipe - Weezer
10. Imitation of Life - R.E.M.
11. Always - Rilo Kiley
12. Summer Days - Bob Dylan
13. Stream Running Over - The Apples in Stereo
14. Anything You Want - Spoon
15. Barely Legal - The Strokes
I just realized it’s maybe strange that over the course of ten shows, considering the title, I haven’t actually played any Beach Boys.
- Liver & Onions
Show #9: Color Me Excited!
Excited to have all you lovely folks following my tumblr.
That’s right, this show’s theme was colors and last week’s was numbers. Just call me your kindergarten teacher, bitches.
1. Aeroplane - Red Hot Chili Peppers
2. Yellow Submarine - The Beatles
3. White Knuckles - OK Go
4. We Are Golden - MIKA
5. For Reverend Green - Animal Collective
6. Bad Kids - Black Lips
7. Blue Orchid - The White Stripes
8. Tangled Up in Blue - Bob Dylan
9. Blue Suede Shoes - Elvis Presley
10. Black and White Town - Doves
11. Purple Haze - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
12. White Riot - The Clash
13. Silver Lining - Rilo Kiley
14. Interstate Love Song - Stone Temple Pilots
Some of you may argue the songs with “black” or “white” in the title (or artist name) aren’t really referring to colors; that black and white are each just a lack of color, whether you’re dealing with pigment or light.
You may argue that, but I’m probably just going to stick my fingers into my ears and go “LA LA LA LA.”
P.S. Next week is my 10th show. Momentous occasion. I don’t even KNOW what I’m going to do.
P.P.S. What should I do!?
Show #8: Crunchin’ Numbers
Crunchy, and especially good with cinnamon.
1. The New Face of Zero and One - The New Pornographers
2. Two of Us - The Beatles
3. Two Shoes - The Cat Empire
4. Three Little Birds - Bob Marley
5. Joy to the World - Three Dog Night
6. 5 Years Time - Noah and the Whale
7. Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
8. 12:51 - The Strokes
9. Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl - Broken Social Scene
10. Care of Cell 44 - The Zombies
11. 59 - 1990s
12. M79 - Vampire Weekend
13. All Cause of You - The 88
14. 20 Years of Snow - Regina Spektor
Show #7: Guess Who’s Back?
It’s Olivia, your friendly neighborhood DJ, back for a whole semester of new shows! And in a new time slot: Mondays from 2 to 3 PM.
1. Song Away - Hockey
2. The Choice is Yours - Black Sheep
3. Tribulations - LCD Soundsystem
4. Float On - Modest Mouse
5. Imaginations - Anna Bradley
6. Lullaby - The Cat Empire
7. My Beloved Monster - Eels
8. Out of Control (State of Emotion) - Kenna
9. Say Yes - Elliott Smith
10. Going Missing - Maximo Park
11. Rapper’s Delight - Sugarhill Gang
12. Spit on a Stranger - Pavement
13. Sister Rosetta (Capture the Spirit) - Noisettes
14. Shake Appeal - The Stooges
15. Get it On - T. Rex
- Olivvy fo Shivvy